Sunday, September 21, 2008

Inside an Apple


Every year when we study about Johnny Appleseed we read a story called The Little Red House. Check out the story here : http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/storyapple.htm . Well, this has quickly become one of my favorite lessons of the year because of the reaction from the kiddos. For the 2-3 minutes it takes me to read the story the children are completely quiet. Someone walking past our classroom during this time might wonder if class is even in session; I mean there is not a noise (which is strange for five year olds). When it comes time to cut the apple and I look out at those little ones just waiting and watching, I get chills! The revealing of the "star" inside the apple is something that can't really be put into words. The ooo's and ah's last for a while and some students even offer a hardy round of applause! That is the joy of children, they are so excited about the "little things", but is the fact that the seeds of an apple make a perfect star really a "little thing"? I don't really think so. I just hope and pray that I can be as in aww of the "little things" as the five year olds in my classroom!




No comments: